Monday, August 27, 2012

Upcycle: Project wearable shirt



I've been kind of obsessed with upcycling projects ever since I stumbled upon I am Momma - Hear me Roar's Upcycled T-Shirt Dress. Take old clothes? Maybe some you bought and don't even wear or have never worn and make them into something awesome AND wearable? I'm all over it. 


 

I bought both shirts for about $2 at goodwill. I didn't try them on mostly because I had three kids with me and there was no time to do this. They both were just ok, but since I knew and had a new found obsession with upcycling I wasn't too worried about it. 


So I cut the shirt in the middle...


Then up the center of the shirt taking care around the lace in the middle. 


I cut the bottom half of the shirt to use in another part of the shirt. You'll see!


I sewed the seam down the side...admittedly this is my second project ever on a sewing machine and the fabric was like a stretch jersey knit so mind the drunken stitching. 


I ended up using the heat bond tape which definitely helped at least get my needle through the fabric without having it bunch up like crazy. 


I know, drunken stitching.


I used some of the leftover fabric to make little rosettes and sewed them onto the shirt.


I was pretty happy with the final results. The flowers were a little heavy so I had to trim them back and resew them at a smaller size. 


Again pretty happy with the results I think it looks nice with the lace. Maybe try with lace flowers if I can find some lace that matches. That wouldn't be as heavy.


I used more of the fabric to make a matching rosette pin! So cute.



No comments:

Post a Comment