Friday, August 10, 2012

National SMORES Day

Okay I know this is supposed to be Silhouette Fridays, but something Monumentally important has happened. 




I found out it was National SMORES day, or if you prefer The Only Day that matters out of all of the days in the history of days. 

So to celebrate I am going to share my most treasured and prized Smores recipe. 

Smores Brownies

That's right people pretty much the two best things on the face of the earth combined into a monumental mountain moving, eyes rolling to the back of your head dessert. 

So good that I actually lie, yes LIE to my children and tell them there are none left so I can eat them all. 

There are two things I will lie to my family about, how many smores brownies we have left, and how much chocolate cheese cake there is. At least my answer is the same when I tell them: none. I'm nothing if not consistent. 

Before the recipe I will share a little bit of my Smore addiction. I have an actual problem, I'm okay with it, I've accepted it and moved on. But to the point where one Smore is definitely not enough. Last summer we actually ran out of Hershey's Chocolate bars (WHAT?!) in the middle of summer which is a major catastrophe. So when my family was all in the living room and I was in Smore mode I found some hidden hershey kisses and started cutting them with a knife so they were in small circles. Have you ever tried to cut a hershey kiss? Not so easy. 

I finally got it done, added my marshmallow and was enjoying my triumph when the worst thing happened. 

My husband walked into the kitchen. 

He didn't just walk into the kitchen, he walked into the kitchen with chocolate and marshmallows all over my face and hershey kiss wrappers all over the counter. He looked at me with bewilderment.
"What sort of desperate creature has my wife turned into?" I'm convinced is what he was thinking, but all he said was: "You've got some real problems..." and slowly backed out of the kitchen. 


Anywhoooo, on to the recipe!!


Ingredients

  • Crust:
  • 6 tbs of butter melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 1/2 cups of Graham Cracker Crumbs
  • 1/2 cup surgar

    Brownies:
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 2 sticks butter (melted and cooled)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use High Fat Dutch Process)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 Hershey's bars chopped (or sometimes I use 8 0z of ghirardelli chocolate)

  • Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a small pan and let cool slightly. Add the Graham cracker Crumbs and sugar and stir with a fork. Add the butter and mix with a fork until well blended and forms clumps when pressed together. Spray a 13 by 9-inch pan with vegetable oil spray and add the graham cracker crumb mixture pressing evenly throughout the bottom of your pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
While the crust is baking melt the remaining butter and let cool down so it is cool to the touch and wont scramble your eggs. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, cocoa, and vanilla. Stir in the flour, salt and chopped chocolate bars.
Spread the batter in prepared pan. Bake about 25 minutes, just until brownies test moist but not wet.
Most important step: When the brownies have cooled slightly cut your brownies as if you were intending to serve them. Top each individual square with a marshmallow -I like to use the new flat ones they came out with for smores! Turn on your broiler and place brownies under the broiler for about 90 seconds watching the whole time. 
Trust me when I say watch the whole time, I was all 2 minutes should be good and when the timer went off the whole kitchen was filled with smoke. Learn from my mistakes! Also the reason you cut the brownies first is if you just pile the marshmallows on it will be an absolute nightmare to cut through. So unless you plan on eating the whole pan yourself (no judgement, I've got the same plans later), cut before the marshmallow. 
Once completely cooled you can store in a tupperware container and place in the fridge. When you're ready for your next smore brownie (aka two minutes after you put them in the fridge) you can heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds. 


Check back on Mmmmonday's for more Smore goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment