Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pie Glorious Pie!

Have you seen this? Pies, homemade delicious yummy pies...in a Jar! LOVE to the max extreme!

I first saw this on Our Best Bites, I used to do a lot of shipping with cupcakes in a jar (post to come soon!) so I pretty much always have mason jars on hand. 

I used Alton Brown's Pie crust recipe. I really like it the pie crust is a nice mix between flaky and buttery. 

Here's a step by step picture tutorial on making absolutely delicious pies! 


1. Gather all of your ingredients together from Alton's recipe. I also like to add cinnamon to the pie crust recipe and a tbls of sugar.I also chill my bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes before I make the dough.
Note: I actually ended up quadrupling the recipe because I mostly had taller jars on hand so it took a bit more dough and I wanted to use up my ripe fruit. 


2. Add your flour, sugar and cinnamon to your chilled bowl. 

3. Next add your butter and using your hands mix your butter into the flour mixture.
Note: You can use a food processor or a pastry blender as well.


4. Mix until your flour looks a little mealy. 


5. Add your shortening and repeat step 3. 

6. Slowly add your ice water to your mixture you won't need all of it so add it only a tiny bit at a time.

7. Place in a ziplock baggie and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


8. Gather all of your ingredients together for your pie fillings. I made plain Peach, Peach-Cherry, Apple and Apple-Cherry. I also made Apple peanut butter and Apple carrot (Apple carrot sounded really yummy!).

9. Chop up all of your fruit.

10. Then add a little bit of sugar and cinnamon. I don't generally add too much sugar especially when I know that the fruit is nice and sweet. For the apple peanut butter I added a 1/2 cup of apples and 3 tbs of peanut butter; in the future I would add more.


11. Take your dough out of the fridge and place between two pieces of well floured wax paper. 

12. Roll until you have a nice even and thin crust. Plus shape doesn't matter now because you're going to be fitting it into the jars.

13. use the tops of the jars to cut out pastry for the top of your jar.

14. Taking scraps of the pie dough gently fit the dough into the jars and press to make the dough seamless in the jars so no filling escapes.

15. Add fruit! It will cook down some so I liked to add it all the way to the top.

16, break out your cute tiny cookie cutters and cut out some neat shapes so the steam can escape.

17. For the Apple Peanut Butter I added a crumb crust. I didn't have any oats on hand (doh!) so I grabbed a package of instant apple cinnamon oatmeal and added a little bit of butter, about 1 tsp until it was nice and crumbly. 

18. Then I melted a little butter and brushed the tops of the pies with the butter and sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on top. Bake in a 350 oven for approximately 50 minutes. I checked them at about 40 and they still needed a good 10 minutes.


19.  Once the pies have cooled a little bit grab a glass of milk in an adorable bottle and a cute straw to drink out of...don't forget your spoon. 

20-21. Then eat and eat and eat! Don't you love that picture (20)? So flaky and so absolutely delicious. A great peanut butter and soft apple taste. 

22. Look at those lovely pies!!!Marvel in your wonderful creation! Tell your friends call your husband just to tell him!

I ended up making 9 pies. I baked 5 of them and put the other 4 in the freezer. for upcoming birthdays and for special surprise gifts for friends!!

Best part? If you visit the link above for Our Best Bites, at the end of the post you will see a free printable to dress up your jars to give to friends as gifts!! 

If you make pies in a jar tell us about it and I will add links to the bottom of this post so everyone can see the delicious creations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment